Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tuesday June 27 St. Petrersberg,Russia
    Monday morning June 26 Aija , Janii and I were up at 4:15 AM, out of the apartment in Riga by 5:30 off to the airport to Russia. She coached me on what to do and say/or not to be safe , to make it an uneventful trip out of and into the country. The airport was easy, in and to our gate,then onto Air Baltic for a short 50 flight. I expected St.Petersburg airport to be very big and beautiful. It was small and very easy to travel through. Heading to customs I knew all of the answers to the questions that they could or usually ask travelers. I memorized the names,addresses,people and places. Walking up to the customs counter I was anxious , and very well prepared. I handed them my passport and papers, he looked at them, stamped them and sent me on my way...no questions...no words at all. I wanted to say, wait, I can pass the test. Thought better and walked on.
   Lera, Aijas friend and past student picked us up,headed right for a place to have coffee and pancakes, the good kind ,as in Hungary and France. The crepes that are thin, with jelly, cheese and many fillings. We picked up a couple other students/friends,to come to this large wholesale house with us. Olga gave me a very nice tour, we talked . She is a fresh flower buyer and salesperson. They are very proud of their facility as they sell fresh cut flowers, ,green and blooming plants, supplies and home decor. One of the only two in Russia that she knows of that have it all under one roof.
   The five of us went to several flower shops, and coffee shops. Aija left us to be a part of a press conference for the Land Art Competition which I will take part in. We visited more shops until she meet up with us.We visited her school and classrooms. Polina and Anistasya went one way, we came to Lera's apartment to unpack, have coffee, relax. When I say  coffee for me it is tea,coffee is the favorite drink, tea I think second? Each day I learn a couple more Russian words,and more Latvian.
   Around 7:00 PM after a very strong rain we decided to take a walk to meet another friend for "coffee".WE walked along the Neva River. There is an island in the city. Lera lives on the island, it is a beautiful and very historic place. We saw so many lovely buildings, statues,parks,monuments. Lera and her family have lived here all of their lives, she is the best guide ever, Aija is the best interpreter..ever. We meet our riend, walked more , then walked to their family flat. It is very beautiful. The same as Lera''s,quiet in the center of such a large city. We had wine, cavoir,crepes,cheese. Aija looked at the clock, it was 10:00PM. Yes I was still out of the house!!!
   One name for this time of the year way up North is White Nights. It never is dark for many weeks. 10:00PM felt as 4:00 PM. We walked home the long way, by the river, arriving around 11:00.
   Lera''s began to make pirogi with cabbage,egg and garlic. Finally around midnight I left the two still talking and laughing and cooking.
 
June 27
   Jani took the bus from Riga, arriving at 5:00AM. We all slept in , had a great breakfast, prepared to leave for the day. Aija went to begin preparations for Land Art Competition. I found out this morning that I am an judge. I will go out in a day or so. In the time Jani and Lera will show me the city.
   We drove to Pushkin ( Tsarskoe Selo ) a town of impereal palaces. The palace we visited is also known as Great Catherine Palace, built in 1744 to 1756. It is Russian Baroque.We arrived, bought a ticket to be on the grounds,headed to the line to enter the palace with so many people. We arrived around noon,waited until 2:00 when they closed the line for 2 hours for appointment tours,reopening at 4:00. The line was tight, it rained on and off. Lera stayed in line as we explored the amazing gardens and parks of the royal. Lera, Jani and I went to the car for a snack that she had packed, and coffee. We also stopped at the WC (  restrooms) where we paid equal to $1.50 to use the facilities!!!
   Around 4:30 we arrived inside to another ticket office.Waited in that line, then went to another line to wait to enter. All of this was about an hour to where we put on special slippers to enter.So so many people all wanting to see the same thing.The art, gold,flooring was stunning. It was hard to see and hear a lot ,so many crowds, I became a bit chlosterphobic. We stayed in there about 40 minutes,seeing what we could see.
   We came home, ate,relaxed. Tonight at 1:00 we will walk to Neva River to watch the bridges go up. At 1:00AM all of the bridges on the Neva open at the same time to allow the ships to exit and enter the port. They are all lit . There are fireworks with the show.
   The Russian people are more than kind and wonderful, They are kind, gracious, just the same as you.
  Pictures will come later...




No comments:

Post a Comment