Sunday, June 24, 2012

Arriving to Latvia (Latvia&Russia, 2012)

June 21, 22, 23

The flight took off right on time out of Minneapolis. I settled in for a nice sleep. It never really became dark the entire flight, being the longest day of the year. Night never fell going to the East, as it came up. Delightful to actually see and feel the experience.
   I walked off of the plane in Amsterdam to see Astrida, my friend and former student, who spends her summer in her homeland of Latvia. My seat was 24 B, hers was 24 F, directly across the four middle seats from me. Both of us were in the isle seat and did not see each other. We talked, had tea, the three and a half hours went by so fast. It was nice setting with her on the flight as well. We parted at the airport.
   Jani, Daiga,Riona and Eleana were there to meet me with flowers, a flower purse,balloons and Rice Krispy Bars, chocolate with M&M''s---so so wonderful to see them waiting for me. Riona and I meet close to 20 years ago when we took a design class in Lyone,France. A couple of years later I invited her to come to teach in Minneapolis at The Institute of Floristry. She accepted and asked if her teacher can come with her. They came, it was the beginning of a close friend/family relationship. They have been with their families to US many times, this is my fourth time to Latvia.
   This little country on the Baltic Sea was free from Russia for 10 years on my first visit. She was beginning to find herself and her joy and pride again after 50 years of Russian rule. The woman president reinstated the arts, singing,dancing,painting,acting and floral design. She knew that will encourage the population to bring out their best and find joy. Aija's mother was the designer and her school to step up to be the first Floral Design School. Aija , her daughter has taken over the business and is doing an amazing job.
   Riona and Elena, her daughter went to their apartment, Janii, Daiga and I went to the apartment to unload the luggage. We went to eat, walked in Riga city center, walked around the market area.It was a beautiful peaceful evening. Then we took a 20 minute drive to the Baltic Sea shore. The sun was beginning to set, the white fine sand was a bit chilly, clean and crisp, so beautiful.
   Sleep came fast and good. I woke up to a knock on my door, we had breakfast, headed out to the Riga City Center. This is Janas Day Weekend, a celebration weekend in Latvia, four day celebration.The center was filled with vendors selling home made items, crafts, bread,cheese,,beer and flowers,flowers and more flowers. There were many singing and dancing performers on stages all around. The streets heading into the center were also filled with vendors and people.It was filled with music and energy. We went to the market to buy ingredients to cook for the Jani celebration in the country house. The flower market was amazing, all fresh, plants,green, blooming,garden,eating plants.Beautiful , great smells. To a few more stores for just the right items.
   We stopped at Aerodium( www.Aerodium.com). Jani and Daiga had a surprise for me. There is this little place outside Riga where you can go to fly...thatÅ¡ right fly. We went into this area, saw the video and instruction, proceeded to put on our "flight suit", hair net,ear plugs,goggles,helmet. Then to the staging area where we did exercises to loosen our muscles and our minds.A short walk up two flights of stairs, there we were.I stepped in first, the insrtructor suggested putting my arms up as they do in the airport screening,and fall forward. The wind blowing up actually puts you flying. He stayed in there with me,keeping me in the center. At first it was a challange to take a breath from my mouth, from my nose it was good.  Amazing, really brilliant experience, once in a lifetime.We did not purchase any of the pictures.The wind blew my mouth open, my cheeks sunk in , I looked like I could be growling, and I believe drooling some as well . The video did not say to keep your mouth shut!
   Then to the country house to see Aija, the family ,to prepare for the celebration tomorrow. I had some home made beer.Those of me that know that part of me, I never USED to drink beer. It was very good, sort of sweet and smooth after a fine day of flying. We made cheese, garlic bread and so much more for the celebration.
   It will be an early evening for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment