Monday, October 15, 2012

October 13 & 14 at South Dakota Free Fall Seminar

South Dakota State Florist Association hosts The Free Fall Seminar annually in Chamberlain South Dakota.
Most know that I was born down the road West of Chamberlain in Murdo. My mothers family is from White River, about 30 miles South of Murdo .So when anyone here at Koehler & Dramm Wholesale Florist says South Dakota, I am first with my hand up to go. I love it there, it is home in my heart.
On top of that geographically home, that is where floral design was introduced to me and taught to me by many many wonderful, talented ,generous kind people. When I can have the honor of giving back it is a privilege. The Florists in South Dakota are some of the best people in the world. Now that does include you James Lowe AIFD from Minot North Dakota and Damon (AIFD) and Sylvia Samuel from Omaha, Nebraska.
I knew for sure I was home when I took my daily walk on an old gravel country road, saw this lovely sunflower field, stopped,walked into the field to take these photos. After walking out I looked down and saw my pants,shoes and socks were full of sand burs!! Yes,they are alive and well. It took 15 minutes at least to pick them out. The whole time I was wondering if that is where the concept of Velcro started.
Donna and Sara Stenberg , Flandreau Flower Shop in Flandreau, South Dakota won the coveted Doug Hesnard Award of Design Excellence for the second year in a row. Go Girls, it was exquisite. All exhibits were beautiful, a hard one to judge.
Jenny Behlings,president of the association from Jenny's Floral in Custer, South Dakota won the highest level in the design competition The Pasque trophy and People Choice award. I was one of the judges for this competition, let me tell you the contestants scores were so close. You are all amazing from level one to level three. I commend all of you for stepping into the arena and doing your state association proud.

   Home again, with more great memories of my home state, the land and the people. I really love it here in Minnesota too.

No comments:

Post a Comment